Tuesday 6 December 2011

Grocery Shopping

We went grocery shopping today.  I had a few recipes in mind, so I had my list of ingredients with me.

I wanted to make manicotti... no manicotti noodles, no cottage cheese, no cheddar cheese.  I guess ricotta, parmesan and gouda will work.

I wanted to make a casserole, so I looked for frozen kernels of corn.  In the vegetable freezer, I found a box with a picture of corn on it, and a big number 2.  I shook the box, and it was definitely two frozen cobs of corn.  Canned corn it is!

Time for me to try new things and be resourceful myself!  Also, time for me to start importing slow-cookers... they also aren't used here!

4 comments:

  1. Haha! I have never heard of manicotti and ricotta! Did you like the Boerenkool? What shop did you pick? I think in Amersfoort there are more exotic food shops :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TL I love reading your updates! And I totally sympathize! I have yet to find cheddar cheese in Israel..improvising ftw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, I do like Borenkool, so I'll learn to make that soon. We were at Plus, beside your house. Good idea about Amersfoort. Next time I'm there, I'll find a bigger store.

    Hey Lisa, have you discovered any new ingredients that you like, that we don't have back in Canada??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't found anything yet that I couldn't get in Canada..but I've learned to cook a lot more with things like lentils, chickpeas etc. and there are some very interesting looking fruits that we have yet to try.. :)

    ReplyDelete